Thank you, Tenniel


Since I started painting sea turtles a few months ago, I have heard a lot about sea turtles in the gulf. I guess that was on my mind as I created this painting, a conversation between a 5 year old and the Mock Turtle (Tenniel's illustration for Alice's Adventures in Wonderland).

This is an excerpt from a therapist's site, describing the symbolism of sea turtles:

If feelings of betrayal, abandonment, anger, rejection, loneliness, fear and others are present, it may be time to slow down and retreat into the sacred dome of the turtle shell, to seek its safety and protection. From this protected, yet free place, you can effectively explore the more vulnerable parts of the psyche.... The sea turtle is a symbol of rebirth.


On a brighter note, Laurent and I finished watching Examined Life, made by filmmaker Astra Taylor. It was a titillating look into contemporary philosophy. Laurent complained that we barely scratched the surface, but I thought the mental monkey bars were fun.


Also, I just got included in an Etsy Treasury, if you'd like to check it out!

Comments

Subscribe

* indicates required

Popular posts from this blog

What comes next?

Women in abstraction: a century and a half of female artists at the Centre Pompidou

Me editing me via ChatGPT